Government Committee meetings focus on local, county and state government issues. During the FL Legislative Session, this includes bill tracking on topics such as election reform, education, gun safety, immigration, and health.
A sub-set of this committee’s members, the “Observer Corps,” regularly attend Collier County Commission Meetings. Their reports have lead to discussions on traffic congestion, affordable housing, mental health care, water availability, the impact of Hurricane Irma and how funds may be raised to meet the area’s changing needs. Attending meetings demonstrates to elected and appointed officials that the public is interested in how decisions are made.
Several times each year, members meet with elected officials and ask questions in small group settings.
— Mario Diaz-Balart (@MarioDB) May 8, 2017
For more, read Government Updates.
Upcoming Government Committee Events
2019-2020 Government Program
- Educate our members and the community about state, county and local government and important government issues.
- Research and discuss pressing local, regional and state government issues to identify those that deserve further study. Report these findings to the League Board and membership for consideration for advocacy.
- Suggest programs for “Hot Topics” meetings to address current issues.
- Schedule periodic meetings as desired with key civic and government leaders to learn more about issues under consideration.
- Deliver programs through a Speakers Bureau as requested.
Action / Advocacy
- Monitor meetings of elected local government bodies, especially the Board of County Commissioners. Coordinate and communicate with other LWVCC committees to ensure that important meetings are covered.
- Act on LWVF “Action Alerts” and lobby elected officials in support of League priorities.